He points out some of the tragic realities of the care system for orphans and children at risk in Russia:
- 100,000 new orphans every year despite a steady and sharp decrease in the number of school-age children in Russia;
- top-level government develops initiatives to make the system better for children but nothing happens at the local level;
- it is far too easy for parents to deal with drug and alcohol addiction and poverty by bringing their unwanted children to the "orphan factory";
- thousands of bright and healthy children labeled as "mentally handicapped" and forced into special schools that are not really schools at all... their lives buried in the system forever.
- The Russian government has been trying to solve the "orphan factory" problem for many years, and it seems that little or no progress is made.
|Celebrating Christmas in a Russian orphanage|
But now, Praise God, we are seeing the dawn on a new initiative for orphans. The church in Russia is awakening to the needs of orphans and God's commands to care for orphans. God's heart for orphans is being preached from pulpits all across Russia. Over 1,000 churches participated in Orphan Sunday. All across Russia, Christian families are praying about bringing orphans into their families. Orphan ministries are being set up in many churches. More and more children are being adopted.
When President Medvedev gave his annual "state of the union" address in late 2010, he declared that there should "be no orphans in Russia". Through the power of God and the obedience of His people, Russia with No Orphans can become a reality. With man, it is impossible. But, with God, all things are possible!
Consider helping the church and the Russia with No Orphans Alliance. Pray for Russia with No Orphans. If you would like to plant into this special project, you can learn more and contribute by visiting the Big Family Mission website here.